Create a Coord Based on Royalty

12:00:00


Ideologically I’m neither in favour nor against monarchy. However, aesthetically royalty, especially from various periods of European history, is a huge source of inspiration.



Rather than try to replicate one specific royal look, I approached this challenge with a general idea and feel of royalty in mind. Mind you, I’d love to do a Lolita homage to Queen Elizabeth’s coronation portrait (that should be fairly easy to do with the right dress), but at the moment I simply don’t have the right items for this kind of thing.

| BtSSB Full of Stars "Bright Starry Night" JSK I | Resailan
Jewelry Box blouse | AP Rose Garden Princess headbow |
AP Crown Logo OTKs | Antaina heels | Peacockalorum
underskirt | Wicked and Whimsy ring | offbrand waist belt,
earrings and crown ring |








If this coord feels a little familiar to you, it’s because it’s an updated version of this one that I have done in the past: I took the base idea of pairing BtSSB’s Full of Stars “Bright Starry Night” with an underskirt, but this time went more ivory than white. Although the headbow, a recent acquisition, isn’t a 100% perfect match in terms of colour, because of the textured fabrics on the bow and the dress it blends in beautifully and adds to the feeling of luxury. I incorporated a few crown details through the ring and the OTKs to hint at royalty, as I wanted this theme to be felt through the overall look of the coord rather than being more obvious, e.g. through the use of crown motifs or nods to actual dresses worn by royalty. The full shot doesn’t give justice to the gold details, but luckily they do come to life more in the detail shots.

I’m thinking of making either version of this coord my ILD outfit, or maybe even create a hybrid of the two, and I look forward to actually putting this ensemble on. This is also when I’d be able to see if I could put on some form of a necklace, which I debated when putting the flatlay together. In the end I decided against it based on the high collar blouse and the pearl chain on the dress, but who knows, maybe a sufficiently regal necklace could take this to that extra level – what do you think?

Don’t forget to check out other glamorous royalty-inspired creations made by other participating bloggers:


10 comments:

  1. Nice coord! I really love the earrings. I think a lolita variation on Queen Victoria's wedding dress would be gorgeous, personally, though Queen Elizabeth's coronation gown is super gorgeous as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Queen Victoria's wedding gown would be lovely, but if done well. Since the dress is all white, you'd have to be very skilled at playing with textures and fabrics to pull it off successfully. I guess you could say that Queen Elizabeth's coronation gown is easy to intermediate nod to royalty, but Queen Victoria's wedding one is definitely an advanced project. :P

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. If I have to chose a royality to coord after, it properly be Katarina the great, I always been fascinated by she managed to be a unimportant German Princess to Russian Empress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be truly awesome! As soon as this topic came up, I realised how little I know about royals past and present, as I couldn't recall any particular portrait or outfit that would've stuck with me (other than Henry VIII, but that'd be way too much for a Lolita coord challenge :P). There are so many more royals who could inspire an outfit that I'd love to see people attempt.

      Delete
  3. How comfy are those AnTaiNa shoes? I've been looking at those in lavender to wear with Aquarium Carnival

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine aren't quite the right size (they're a little too big), but I'd say reasonable. If they fit properly I think they'd be ok, they haven't given me blisters or anything, but I'm also not putting them on and immediately going 'ooh yeah, these are comfy', if that makes any sense.

      Delete
  4. I like it as-is without a necklace, but maybe just the right one would work. I often skip necklaces due to jabbots and neck bows, it's hard for me to keep it from being too fussy. I love that waist belt you paired with it, that's a really nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, that a necklace might be too much. Although yesterday when I was helping my Mum with something else I found a necklace that she has which I completely forgot about which just might work with this outfit. It's tempting me to do a try on just for the sake of finding out if the necklace would work. :P

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.